h Robyn and Ben in Hong Kong: You haggle for everything out here(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Robyn
And Ben
In Hong Kong

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg

Monday, October 02, 2006

You haggle for everything out here

Since I have arrived in Hong Kong my general gym going healthy attitude has taken a turn for the worse. I have done hardly any sport in any way and even walking up the stairs suddenly became pretty difficult. Thats when I decided to join a gym just round the corner from where we live.

This gym in question is called California Fitness and is part of a chain owned by none other than Jackie Chan himself. I walked in and explained my desire to have a look at the facilities as I was considering joining, but it would depend on the deal they could offer. Suddenly a little man appeared by my side (as most people tend to be out here). His badge indicated that he was the assistant manager and he was very eager to give me a tour. What I have learnt since arriving in Honkers is that in these situations you never seem too committed or impressed with anything which you are shown, as it weakens your bargaining position if you show you are interested. Everything we saw I just nodded and either said it was 'acceptable' or i asked questions which made my expectations seem higher than what was on offer "do you not have a pool"? for example. I felt like a bit of an idiot, but when the tour was finished the fun really started. We sat down and it was explained how much it would cost me to join this oasis of health.

Membership per month: 999 dollars (66 quid)
Processing fee for my membership: 999 dollars (another 66 quid)
Deposit: 2000 dollars (132 quid)

So potentially i was looking at spending 264 pounds just to be allowed to get in the doors! I laughed and said that there was no way I was paying that price for membership and he needs to make it cheaper. I told him i was a member of a gym in central London (complete fabrication) and it had a pool and many more facilities than what he was offering and it cost me 40 quid a month, and he was charging me 66!!He said he could try to make it cheaper but he needs to speak to his boss, pulls out his mobile phone and leaves me in the office alone. On his desk was his notebook with a page which said "Monday Targets" He had a target of three new members and so far there was a tick in only one of the three boxes he had drawn for himself. That made me feel a bit better as I knew he really wanted to get me to sign up.

In a nutshell he returned, we haggled, we talked, I went to walk out twice, he ran after me. He pretended to phone more of his bosses to ask for discounts (he was not talking to anyone i swear) and in the end I managed to get the following deal

Membership cost per month: 290 dollars (20 quid)
Processing fee: 499 dollars (33 quid)
Depost: 0
Plus one month free membership! (to make up for my distaste at being charged a processing fee)

I was with the guy for about an hour and really did get as much out of him as i could, just goes to show that in Hong Kong you really do have to haggle for everything.

5 Comments:

Blogger MattMoo said...

Oh Ben, I do miss you and your persuasive ways! Brings back memories of hovering around the Orange Shop in Bristol, saying "It's OK, I really don't mind keeping this crappy phone I don't like..."

Not with Ben around, you wont; "Sit down. Now."

Ah, happy times!

Well done though, I wonder if that would work for me over here? Me thinks not.

Rubbash.

Matt xx

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shades of living in doha eh ben!

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ive already read this one twice,come on..standards are rapidly slipping ;)

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, come on you've set yourself some high standards, now you have to set even higher targets - that's the way of the world! Hope all is OK! We'll start to worry if we don't get our daily blog!

Don't work too hard!!!
Love Dad/Dave

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps I've started just reading the comments now!!!


pps The photos are working at work again.

Dad/DAve

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg