h Robyn and Ben in Hong Kong: First Day at School!(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Robyn
And Ben
In Hong Kong

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg

Monday, September 04, 2006

First Day at School!

So, I've just finished my first day at school! Ben isn't back yet as he has to work until 6pm whereas I finished at 4pm (don't feel too sorry for him though as he was still in bed when I left this morning and only woke up to take a photo of me, which I'm sure will follow at some point...) This is basically the first time we've done different stuff since we got here, hence this is my first bit of blogging in HK. I didn't actually do any teaching today as proper lessons don't start until tomorrow but I was informed on my arrival that I would have a meeting in the afternoon to discuss the 'S.B.A', which lead to me spending most of the morning figuring out what S.B.A stands for (School Based Assessment, if your wondering - the Chinese LOVE acronyms...). I also got to meet the other English teachers, I'm pretty lucky because all secondary schools in HK should have one NET (Native English Teacher - I did warn you!), but I have three in my school (actually theres an American, an Austrailian, and an Indian, so I'm the only 'English' English teacher but you get the idea). This means there is a good bank of people to talk to if I don't understand anything or to just discuss the general madness of HK! I barely saw any actual students today although a very small girl carrying a very large pile of text books did turn up at one point asking for 'Miss Gweebs' before plonking said pile of books on my desk. (Unlike in the UK the staff room is a huge room of desks where staff can work, rather than the more sociable coffee room type thing we are used to - this in itself says a lot about the Chinese work mentality). I also found out today that part of my teaching will be based around tutoring the students to give a presentation/discussion about an (incredibly abbreviated) version of Jane Austen's 'Emma' - those of you who know me know how ironic and funny that is...Well thats about it for now, tomorrow I should actually be in a classroom, although not on my own yet, and I also have a meeting with our Project Director so it should be an interesting day! I can't work out which font Ben uses for this so if its totally different from the rest of the blog - oops!R x

8 Comments:

Blogger robynandben said...

Well i'm still at the office whilst your swanning around the flat. Lucky git. See you in ten minutes for a drink (although i guess your not going to read this before then)

b

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad your day went well Rob. Ben thks for info re steve irwin. jack knows. mum x

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rob! Well I'm now here in Clermont Ferrand, France. The old Park lot is slowly spreading around the world... Great hearing all you've been up to. Ruth xx

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! The BLOG gets past the school filter here at Park so I can download soooo much quicker. Usual first day back mix of why am I STILL here and "Hi nice holiday?" "Not bad, you?"

Anyway I can go home now Yippee.

Do people want to stay anonymous or have they not sussed you click on OTHER and put your name in. Hard to tell which "mum" is which and are there 2 Jacks? Good grief!

Love Dave/Dad x

10:37 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

Lol I thought that, you both have brothers called Jack.. Anyway, sounds like your really settling in properly now.

How scary is it about Steve Irwin. He waved at me when I saw him at the Thanksgiving day parage in New York in 2004.. There were litle kids crying in schools on the news, it was awful. He's like some kids real life superman.

Right well take care guys, speak soon. Andy xx

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok so maybe i am not so quick off the mark robs dad, but i get there in the end ..... i know which mum i am and which jack i am talking about but understand this may cause probs elsewhere... so from now on i will be more obvious.bi bi

3:52 AM  
Blogger robynandben said...

I was waiting for the day that steve Irwin pegged it. I think its all a hoax
B

PS, more about my first days at work soon

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Robyn and Ben, glad to hear you're all good and settled in. Is it just me or does the black/yellow make any one elses eyes go funny? Ben, you're a legend for keeping us up to date with goings on.
Rx

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg