h Robyn and Ben in Hong Kong: The effects are showing(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Robyn
And Ben
In Hong Kong

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg

Friday, September 08, 2006

The effects are showing


Yes, we have lost our minds...

Well it is the end of the first week and so I thought I would fill you all in on how it has been! Robyn is settling into her school really well. She has a bit of a fan club even after only a week, girls come looking for during lunch breaks to marvel at her white skin and stroke her hair. Meanwhile at the office i'm starting to get an idea of exactly what I have let myself in for. Two days ago my boss sat me down in the office and explained that the hardest thing I will find is adapting to the "Chinese way of working". She used this phrase quite a few times so I felt compelled to ask "what is the Chinese way of working?" Expecting the answer to be that I need to be organized, focussed and all round brilliant. She looked at me and said "Nothing here will ever happen easily". I have learnt now that this is the Chinese way of working, or at the very least communicating. Never did I feel it possible to leave a school meeting more confused and unsure of things than before I went in. Luckily this is not just a problem I have, but seems rather universal whenever West meets East and tries to organize anything. Words can't really describe the confusion that occurs in a cross cultural meeting. You honestly sometimes leave not quite sure what has been agreed. At one stage I had an urge to jump from my 18th story office window just to bring some finality and sense to a particularly mind boggling meet.

But it is getting easier, after a week I am becoming quite good at either understanding what is being said, or just asking questions to make sure I understand the message i'm being given.

Anyway, It is now friday night and im rambling on a bit. I have had a day of visiting schools and continuous meetings and subsequently have an overwhelming desire to go out and have a few drinks. Robyn is upstairs in the shower getting ready. Thank god it's Friday.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

TGI Friday indeed.

The first full week I have worked since mid June what with the odd day and half day off here and there and holiday etc.

In my department, there are 10 teams and every month each team wins some money for which team has peformed the best. Our team has won every week from February till August (Yup we are great) We are way ahead for Sept too..! We had saved up and so we all went out tonight for a big posh meal and drinks etc, we had £700 to spend baby. 'More Th>n' enough lol. A very good night was had, though as there are 8 of us so that soon dissapeared. Shocking! Nice to be rewarded though I guess. I take back all I have said about companies getting too big.

Anyway I am rambling. Speak 2 u soon. P.S Have you found some good places for going out? A xx

3:08 AM  
Blogger robynandben said...

hey andy
yes i have found some wicked places to go out, an Irish bar which Robyn said you would love in particular. You will be here soon so we can show you them all! Last night we ended up in a place called "dusk till dawn" and I have the vague recollection of a barmaid standing on the bar with two bottles of tequila...after that it all gets a bit hazy. Robyn looked after me tho :)

11:12 AM  
Blogger MattMoo said...

Ooooh, Ben! It sounds like a regular night in the Shilling for me... although the barmaids there are a bit more reserved!

Moo xx

10:59 PM  
Blogger MattMoo said...

By the way, I want to marvel at Robyn's white skin and stroke her hair too... :o( xx

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg