h Robyn and Ben in Hong Kong: All these things that I've done...(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Robyn
And Ben
In Hong Kong

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

All these things that I've done...

So, as Ben has collapsed into bed and I'm strangely awake I thought I'd take this opportunity to wrestle the laptop from his clammy clutches and post a blog of my own (as I realise I haven't since my first day at school which now feels like a lifetime ago!) Over the last few weeks i've managed to make myself crazily busy...in a good way! Monday and Tuesday nights are now taken up by working with the PolyUniversity English Drama Club, helping with their upcoming performance of 'Romeo and Juliet'. I had my first rehearsal this Monday and after checking and re-checking (as I have found you have to do here) that I didn't need to prepare or bring anything, on my arrival I was met with "this is Romeo, this is Juliet, this is the script, I'll be back in two hours". Right. It then becomes apparant that all they have done so far is have one read-through and that the performance is in a months time. Right again. However, after getting over my initial brain blank it turned out to be lots of fun, probably because the uni students actually want me to help them and hang onto my every word like I'm some kind of Drama God...slightly scary but it makes a change from school! My job basically involes going through the entire script word for word highlighting the meaning, tone, emphasis, emotion etc. Theres another student doing the directing but she also looks to me like I'm some kind of professional. Basically as soon as you say your an English 'teacher' everyone looks at you like your sent from heaven and have the mysteries of the universe written on the back of your hand.

A similar thing was experienced at my new Thursday night activity known as 'Big Mouth Corner' (which I know some of you will find appropriate!) This is another PolyUniversity activity and basically involes chatting and planning little activities for students wanting to practice their speaking. The students are all really nice and a lot of other people in the company are doing it aswell so it's a good chance to catch up with everyone during the week. However, in an ironic twist for the last two weeks in preparation for our English classes we have had two Cantonese classes run for us by the students. All I can say is any language where saying the same word in a different tone can be the difference between saying nine, plastic, dog, and penis is not the language for me! There are 9 different tones that pretty much sound the same to me and which make the same word mean something completely different, if you say 'yes' with the wrong tone it is incredibly rude! I don't think Cantonese is something you pick up... Another interesting moment was when we were taught to sing The Beatles' "Can't Buy Me Love" in Cantonese, I asked one of the students if we were singing a direct translation from the original and was told the line I was singing meant "something about chopping pork"...that would be a "No" then. There is also a photo of my attempt at Chinese calligraphy but I'll get Ben to do that as that stretches my technical capabilities a little too far.

Anyway enough rambling, I realise I havn't mentioned school but trust me thats about 100 times crazier than this extra-curricular stuff so more to come on that, well, soonish...Tomorrow we are off to see 'The Rocky Horror Show' HK style which should be a treat, then Friday is a Hallowee'n Bash at the wonderful Ocean Park, Saturday I'm going on a HK tour with the Big Mouth Corner students and Sunday I am hoping to collapse on a beach somewhere! So, forgive the rubbish-ness of my blogging/calling/writing but as you can probably tell things here are somewhat hectic, I will try to improve, though Ben's Blog OCD should tide you over until my next bout of rambling (which will include something about the actual job...honest)
Anyway, this is Miss Gweebs, over and out,
R x

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob I dont know how you are managing to get thru each day... It sounds as if you need at least 26 hours not 24 to get everything done. Brill for the moral fibre tho, well done...

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds crazy hectic to me. If they like the Beatles try Lucy in the Sky or I am the Walrus or even Hello Goodbye that should be good!
I'll get the Cantonese cds from the library before we come sounds like the tonal thing will be fun especially as Sam and I are both a BIT DEAF DEAR! WHAT?

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg