h Robyn and Ben in Hong Kong: Fat in Hong Kong(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Robyn
And Ben
In Hong Kong

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg

Monday, January 08, 2007

Fat in Hong Kong



I just got back from a school visit that turned out to be somewhat pointless as I was not really needed. Whilst there however there was a little gem of a moment which took place whilst I was being given a tour of the school by the head of the English department. We were standing on the playground and my tour guide suddenly looked at her watch and realized that she needed to be somewhere else. She directed me to go and talk to a group of teachers standing on the other side of the playground to introduce myself to, one of whom I had apparently met before. This is how the conversation went.

Teacher: Go and speak to Eva, I believe you have met her before
Me: Which one is Eva? Sorry I don't quite remember
Teacher: Eva is the fat one
Me: Oh (looking at the group) The lady in the purple top?
Teacher: No thats Alice, she is fat but Eva is fatter

Being fat in Hong Kong does not seem to carry the same weight (ahem) as it does in England. Robyn and myself have been in similar situations in schools when we have been doing lessons on child obesity. One girl stood up in fron to Rob and the class and announced quite simply that.

"I am fat, because I eat lots, If I did not eat as much then i would not be fat"

She was not shy to announce this fact, and the class applauded her and agreed with her rather profound statement. In some ways Hong Kong students are very similar to students in the UK. But there are great deal of differences as well.

Anyway, onto the pictures

I took this photo chugging along on the Star Ferry

I spotted this and could not help myself as the latest edition to "Funny Signs of Hong Kong"

When Andy was here some of the gang went to the fair. Here we are outside the Ghost Train

Hannah and myself went on quite easily the freakiest ride in the world

Being hurled round and round was not so much the issue. The problem for me was when we were kept motionless up in the air whilst ant like people on the other end of the contraption got off. I was tipping forward and frightened fartless as I looked at the drop below. My knuckles were white and I was imagining what landing splat on the floor would be like, I was not about to let go. Hannah meanwhile, as you can see was waving and looking around and rather enjoying the view. It has sealed my opinion that the woman is deranged.


Bx

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ben ,Just been reading your blog which I accessed via a link from Hannahs blog. You woose!!!
Scared fartless!! Hannah is made of much sterner stuff.
Glad you all seem to be having such great fun out there in less than Pc Hong Kong.--- Fat indeed!!!
Yours
Hannahs Mum x

6:20 AM  
Blogger robynandben said...

Hey Hannahs Mum! i don't think Hannah is aware that I have posted this blog entry up about her, but honestly, she is hard as Scottish nails!
bx

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg