h Robyn and Ben in Hong Kong: Cantonese lesson part 1(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Robyn
And Ben
In Hong Kong

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Cantonese lesson part 1

I have decided to attempt to learn a little bit more Cantonese than the meager amount that I currently possess. As mentioned before, it is a pretty difficult language to master so I thought I would share it with you.

‘This isn’t cooked mate!’ = Mm-goy lay dee soong may sook!
'We are vegetarians’ = Ngor-day sick jai

Some of my personal favorites are sentences involving emergencies
‘Quick, call the cops’ = Fi-dee bong ngor gill ging chart!

I find it amusing that a sentence that is needed for an emergency can be such a mouthful. By the time I would manage to correctly pronounce and ask someone to call the cops the thief would probably have escaped… … In which case I would have to give chase shouting…

…‘Stop! Thief!’ = Churn Yeahaaahhh!!!!!!!! (with feeling)

So to summarize, if anyone steals from you, give chase and make sounds like a cowboy.

bx

11 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

But really, isn't that just common sense?

11:53 AM  
Blogger robynandben said...

wow, could this be our first comment written by someone we don't know? Its a landmark moment....
bx

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is it Laurie from Uckfield?
yeeehaaa!!!!

3:31 PM  
Blogger robynandben said...

no its not, this Laurie seems to be american according to her blog. That means that she is either being sarcastic (not something Americans tend to be good at) or she is an actual cowgirl who would give chase shouting Yeeeaaahaaaaaa! Who knows...

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

R - Your dad's been learning how to say "I do not speak Cantonese, I am American". The c.d. we got from the library sets a scenario for you - 'you are an American tourist in a bar, talking to a Chinese woman'. All sounds a bit dubious to me. 'Cantonese for the sex tourist' rather than 'a weekend shopping in Kowloon'

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mo ng sek gong quongtongwa. Mo high merryquo yan. However sung to a different tune (ie high rising, low medium falling tones) this also means "No sex please, I'm going shopping with my beloved. We will have a merry time with lots of tales to tell"

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh dear, someone had better tell him that actually means "Which strip bar has the Thai lady-boys?"

12:47 AM  
Blogger robynandben said...

The Thai ladyboys do not have a particular bar round Wan Chai, they are everywhere so he is pretty screwed :)

7:34 AM  
Blogger robynandben said...

I've heard the ladyboy hangout du jour is outside 7/11...Im not sure why I know that R x

9:04 AM  
Blogger robynandben said...

I told you, thats why.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oi! less of the pretty! I don't think "Come upstairs and unblock my toilet please" is on my Cantonese cd but I'll let you know..

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg