h Robyn and Ben in Hong Kong: Umm Sai La(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Robyn
And Ben
In Hong Kong

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg

Friday, January 12, 2007

Umm Sai La

Having my office in Causeway Bay and living in WanChai has its advantages. If I need to be in work at 9AM for example I can roll out of bed at 8.15, stumble into the shower, fall into my clothes and as long as am out of the door by 8.50 still be on time. This however involves walking like one of those funny looking speedwalkers that you see in the Olympics, frequently bashing into slow elderly people or men carrying smelly fish.

Today was one of those Olympic walking days. I took my usual route of traffic congested streets, car horns and market sellers when suddenly I felt someone tapping on my shoulder. I turned around and there was this small man insisting that I take a pamphlet or whatever on earth it was that he was selling. I could not hear him over the background noise but I just shook my head, turned and carried on quickly walking. Moments later he was tapping me on the shoulder again! I turned and he held out the paper for me to take. With crowds surging round us I looked at this persistant seller and decided to try a bit of Cantonese, I gestured for him to keep whatever it was that he was holding and said "Umm Sai La" which translates as "I don't want that".

It was then that the honking car next to me moved and the man suddenly became audible, with a strong London accent he said "Mate, you dropped this out yer bag". I went a little bit red, accepted my dropped peperwork and thanked him. Even faster than normal I then walked to the office and looked for some sand to bury my head.

bx

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think old people should be allowed in the olympics Ben. I didn't even know carrying smelly fish was an olympic sport!

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It isn't, but then they do have some very strange traditions in Devon.......and I won't even begin to start on what the Cornish class as sport.... And they say it's grim up North! Pah!

4:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You deserve that for being able to get to the office in 10 minutes...

Miss you, Biddle x

3:12 PM  
Blogger robynandben said...

Hey Miss Biddle, yes its a crime that I live so close to my place of work :)
Hope you are enjoying your travels round Asia x

5:39 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

doofus :)

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg