h Robyn and Ben in Hong Kong: The mysteries of school...(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Robyn
And Ben
In Hong Kong

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg

Monday, January 15, 2007

The mysteries of school...

As we are still in exam period (nearly three weeks!), I'm only teaching, at most, one lesson a day which is with the Form five and so is only exam practice, which is both easy and dull. Not having to run about like a crazy person has lead to me noticing other things around school and given me (possibly too much) time to puzzle over some of the more bizarre things about the place, which, owing again to too much free time, I though I'd share...

1. All china mugs have an accompanying china "lid" - since September I have been using mine a a kind of saucer however, I have found out the proper purpose is to protect against "dust". It is unclear whether this is for when there is a drink in it or when the mug is empty or both...this lead to me thinking why don't they have this anywhere else? is there more dust here? is this just another odd Chinese cleanliness thing...?

2. There is a box of A4 scrap paper on the back of every toilet cistern. Now I can only think of one possible use for it but it would seem a little redundant as there are stacks of toilet roll everywhere and would also seem to go against the aforementioned cleanliness thing...it would I suppose, give you something to read in there if you're that way inclined but I'm guessing that can't be it's main function...

3. The one I have spent the most time and energy pondering...since Christmas quite a few female teachers have started sporting what can only be described as arm cover-ers. They go from wrist to elbow and cannot be for warmth as they are made of cotton. What makes it more bizarre is they are all brightly coloured and usually feature some kind of cartoon character and subsequently completely clash with everything else the person is wearing and look, well just odd. It is more bizarre as the female teachers here really go all out to look well-groomed. One theory was that these are to protect long sleeves from chalk dust (as long sleeves have only recently been necessary) but as we're in exam period and so not teaching that would seem redundant. Also my teachers wear them in the staff room and sometimes only on one arm...I think they must be to protect against some kind or "dust". I have tried to find a picture online to show you just how odd these things are but I'm not to sure what to search for...and yes, I have thought of asking someone but I suspect my intense intrest in these things is a bit, well, odd.

Too much free time? I don't know what you mean...
R x

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a slacker Miss Greaves, miss you x Ads

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rob, soot used to bring back mugs from china with the lids, and we assumed they were to put on top to keep the drink hot......

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...seems to run in the family this slacking!!! As for the mugs, Sue Holland here used to have a mug with a lid til I mentioned the Edwardians used them to stop there moustaches getting wet! Keep us posted with any accommodation tips.
Love
Dave/Dad xx

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

p1.jpg p1.jpg p1.jpg